DESStination DXB

Wonderland

| 8 Comments

Who says January has to be dull?  

It has been a very exciting start to the beginning of our new term here at DESS, as our new theme Wonderland was launched. The corridors have been abuzz as the children’s learning has been inspired by Norton Juster’s story, The Phantom Tollbooth, and the adventures of it’s protagonist Milo, a bored, young boy who unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, decides to drive through it in his toy car.

Year One make an exciting discovery!

Year One make an exciting discovery!

Since the discovery of the tollbooth in the Year 1 area, the children have been investigating and hypothesising what it might be, where it might take us and pondering the question, what is a wonderland?

The children are convinced that Milo travelled through the tunnel and crashed into chocolate mud!!! They are investigating why and will be writing about it shortly.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Meanwhile in FS2, our super heroes did their very own super writing !

FS2 Green’s Awesome Work

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

2 Blue have been busy creating a 3D Wonderland Map using mod roc and recycled materials. Can you spot Dictionopolis? We are now looking forward to painting it. Keep posted for the final piece.

ModRoc Rocks!

ModRoc Rocks!

Tollbooth

Where will the Tollbooth take you?

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

What is Wonderland? Year 3’s thoughts.

year 3

This wonderful piece above entitled, ‘Unity through Diversity’ shows the coming together of different textures and mediums for the first ever year 3 collage. The landmarks come together in unity to form the wonderland which was created by the children themselves, through items they bought from home.

Inspired by The Valley of Sound, the children in Year 4 produced their own Onomatopoeia Pop Art Pieces, which would certainly pull you out of the Doldrums rather quickly!

http://Year 4 Onomatopoeia Art on PhotoPeach

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Hats off to Year 5!

Their brief during our Wonderland week as to imagine they were costume designers working for a stage company who were performing The Phantom Tollbooth on stage. They had to create a hat for one of the many memorable characters from the book.

Here are a few of the final impressive head pieces. Each one has a clue to reveal which character might wear it, can you guess who they were designed for?

Year 5 Hats

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Our children in Year 6 wrote a setting description for Milo in their Literacy lessons.  To accompany this descriptive writing they produced a 3D piece of artwork, depicting a wide range of wonderland settings.

As you can see we have all been very busy!

We do hope you have enjoyed our very first post here at DESSTINATION DXB? 

Are you inspired to read The Phantom Tollbooth to discover more about the wonderful lands Milo discovers on his learning journey?

Please leave us a comment, we would love to know what you think.

8 Comments

1. Great work by the children and the Blogging Club – I loved reading about what they’ve been doing. Can’t wait for the next issue!!

• Hi Carmella,
      Thank you so much for your lovely comment, our very first here at DESStination DXB! We cannot wait to share our learning here on these pages. Mrs Harrow

2. hi wow I really enjoyed the videos and pictures on the blog

3. Hi Mrs Harrow, I enjoyed looking at what the other year groups have been doing. I am stunned of how much work every student has put in to their Wonderland project! Have you had fun working with the children on the Wonderland theme?
    Bianca

4. The pictures look great mrs.harrow. Are onomatopoeia work was so fun!

5. Well done year 4 that was some great artwork I really enjoyed it

6. I loved doing all the wonderland writing and art. I hope that all the other kids enjoyed it as much as I did!

• Hi Isabel,
      I really enjoyed the whole school working on the same theme- all the Wonderland displays around the school look awesome! I can’t wait until you can post some of your writing, art and hopefully some photography too, on your very own blog.